• Superannuation entity

    A superannuation entity must be set up correctly in line with the superannuation legislation to be entitled to an ABN.

    Superannuation entities can apply for an ABN as an:

    ATO-regulated self-managed super fund (SMSF)

    Your SMSF needs to be set up correctly so that it's eligible for tax concessions, can receive contributions and can be properly administered. You'll generally need the assistance of a qualified, licensed professional to set up an SMSF.

    Getting an ABN isn't the first step in setting up an SMSF. You can apply for an ABN along with a tax file number (TFN) as part of registering the fund with the ATO.

    See also:

    Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) regulated super fund

    A super fund that is regulated by APRA must have a trustee with a Registrable Superannuation Entity licence.

    Non-regulated super fund

    A super fund is non-regulated if it has not made an election to be regulated by APRA or the ATO.

    If a super fund intends to be regulated, it will need to apply as an SMSF or an APRA-regulated super fund.

    Pooled super trust

    A pooled super trust:

    • is a resident unit trust that is used for investing assets of super funds, approved deposit funds, pooled super trusts and life insurance companies
    • must have a trustee that is a constitutional corporation
    • is regulated by APRA
    • must submit to APRA a written confirmation of its intention to be treated as a pooled super trust.

    Approved deposit fund

    An approved deposit fund:

    • is an indefinitely continuing fund that is maintained for approved purposes by a Registrable Superannuation Entity licensee that is a constitutional corporation
    • can receive, hold and invest certain types of rollovers until such funds are withdrawn or a condition of release is satisfied.
  • Last modified: 13 Apr 2018QC 765