• Request non-disclosure of ABN details

    Public information on the ABR may be accessed by anyone for any purpose via ABN LookupExternal Link and data.gov.au.

    Public and non-public information is also provided to eligible government agencies.

    If you think that you or your family may be endangered by having information publicly available, you can ask that certain details not be disclosed publicly.

    Your details may also not be disclosed if the Registrar of the ABR determines it is not in the public interest to have information published – for example, if your entity’s legal name contains a word or expression that may be offensive to others.

    If a request for non-disclosure is successful at the time of registration, the following information will not be published for public view on those sites:

    • legal name
    • trading name
    • business name
    • entity type
    • postcode.

    Gender reassignment

    If you've had a gender reassignment you can ask that your name not be disclosed in the historical record displayed on ABN Lookup and data.gov.au.

    Business location details

    A business organisation may also withhold details of specific business premises from the ABR where there is a risk to the safety of individuals as a result of disclosure, such as in the case of a women’s refuge (see Business locations).

    Making a request

    To request that your details not be disclosed, you or your authorised contact can write to us with a statutory declaration explaining the reasons. You will need to provide:

    • relevant ABN
    • legal name of the entity
    • postal address
    • contact number and name of person requesting the suppression
    • explanation of why you are requesting that information not be disclosed.

    Supporting information is required and may include:

    • in the case of gender reassignment, a statutory declaration explaining why you don't want your name disclosed
    • court order
    • copy of a police report
    • copy of a letter from the Australian Electoral Commission showing that you have a silent elector status
    • copy of a phone bill showing that you have a silent number.

    In most cases, you'll receive a letter advising you of the outcome of your application within 20 business days.

    We may refuse your request if there is insufficient evidence that you or your family may be endangered.

    If you are not happy with the decision you may lodge an objection.

  • Last modified: 26 Jul 2017QC 325